Monday, October 2, 2017

Things to do and not to do 2 weeks before a marathon

Two weeks out from a marathon, some people ask me what can you do that will help.

First thing is resting and not running your easy runs too fast.  This is hard to do because the legs are fresher and you just want to hammer your easy runs.  Don't do it.  Run easy, throw some flats on after and a do a few strides.

Strides.  Strides after most runs two weeks out.  Two weeks out I like to do most of these uphill, then the week of the marathon I keep them flat.  I try to keep most of my easy runs the week of flat as well.  If you've already run the hill workouts, then you'll be fine without one week of hills and allow your legs to freshen up.

Shock the system.  The only way to increase fitness the final 2 weeks is to rest and shock the system.

Circuit workouts which combine running with other exercises can shock your system and not tire you out.  There is a minimum amount of running involved and doing some jumping exercises in between can make you really sore and shock your system into better shape.  I'd give yourself at least a week to recover.  Also one fast workout about a week out also does this.

So This Saturday I'll do 1-mile allout, 5x800 at 3-k pace, 400 allout.  This shocks your system, but is not that much running and really helps make marathon pace feel easier.

Plyometrics about 10-14 days out.  I wouldn't recommend this if you haven't done any plyo's, but about 2 weeks out a good last plyo. session to get your muscles sore a bit will help build force, strength and power.

One medium long progressive run about 10-11 days out.  I usually run 15-16 miles.  Starting easy and working down.  Don't force it or you might as well race a half marathon.  You should feel comfy for most of it and then the final few miles just start to feel out of your comfort zone, but still not going all out.  Before Hyannis 2010 where I ran 2:22:22, I ran a hilly 5-k race two weeks out.  Ran just under 16:00.  What most people don't know is I did the 5-k loop 4 times before the race, each loop getting faster.  All toll I had 15.5 miles in finishing fast and feeling confident.

Confidence.  If you have a workout that makes you feel confident, do it.  We'll get into what not to do soon, but don't do a workout you've had issues with in the final 2 weeks.

Things not to do before a marathon.

I don't recommend half marathons in the final 2 weeks.  Racing that distance can really tire you out, plus psychologically, if you don't run well, you leave a lot of things to think about for 2 weeks.

Hills in the final week.  Don't do them.  Stay flat.

No long workouts.  I suggest on Monday or Tuesday a dress rehearsal run.  Eat what You'll eat the night before, wake up like you would before marathon, eat  what you'll eat.  Warm up like you would, wear what you'll wear in marathon, stand around for a while, then do 1-3 miles at goal marathon pace, or a hair faster.  I usually warm up about 10 minute before marathon, do a few strides, then stnd around for 10-15 minutes trying to stay warm for this prep run.  That way if you have to stand around, especially for big marathon where you cannot get a couple extra strides in, you'll know what to expect.  I typically do 2-3x2-k at goal marathon pace with plenty of rest.

Last workout.  3-4 days out from marathon I suggest doing something other than just an easy run.  Again you've got your strides, but usually I do 10-15 minutes worth of 1.3 minute intervals with plenty of rest at a moderate effort and plenty of rest.  If you make this harder than you should, you'll pay for the race.

Don't get a massage in the final week.  These usually make me really sore for 2-3 days.

Don't eat weird foods.  Eat normally.  This is not the time to try new things whether food or shoes.  I usually bring my own food if I'm traveling to a marathon and cook in my room.

Carbing up.  I don't worry about carbs for my last meal.  I try to eat plenty the final few days and the lunch the day before.  For dinner the night before I usually have a hamburger, a beer, and fries.  But whatever is normal.

Not getting to the starting line injury free.  Starting a marathon with any kind of small injury is probably going to end up being a nasty pain by the end of the marathon.  If you need to rest the final two weeks more to show up injury free, then do it.

Have goals but be realistic.  First goal for me is showing up to the race injury free.  That is not super easy to do.  My second goal is to finish the marathon.  Whatever happens, if I finish, I can live with myself.  After that there can other goals, like not starting too fast, placing in the top 5,10, 100, having a goal time.  Depending on weather, and who shows, up some of these goals may be out of your control, so don't worry about them.

I know if I show up injury free, go out smart, and finish, those other goals are possible on a good day.


Final run.  I usually run 5 miles flat on the treadmill at 7:00 pace which is easy for me.  Whatever your easy pace is, do it.  This should feel boring, but don't worry if your legs feel off.  I always finish this with some strides outside in my flats.  If no treadmill is available I highly recommend you find a flat piece of road and that you run with someone much slower than you to keep you from running this too fast.

Be nervous, but don't allow it to overwhelm you.  It's ok to have some nerves.  When you start getting sick over it, it's controlling you. 

Read a book, try to keep your mind off  the race.

Day of the race, while at the starting line, I look straight ahead in the final minute before the gun and for about 10 seconds I close my eyes and focus, telling myself I'm about to do something to my body that its ready for, but is going to be unpleasant at times. 

Laugh during the race.  laughing is a great way to loosen up.  I usually laugh when I get to the mile mark and say to myself, only 25.2 miles to go.  On the MDI course at about 25-k you can look across the ocean and see southwest harbor where the finish is.  I usually laugh then too.


No comments:

Post a Comment