Friday, October 27, 2017

More X-C

So looks like instead of 8-k in old town on November 5th, I'll be headed to Franklin Park for New England xc championship.  I'll have to sit back and watch masters race, since I won't be 40 for another 15 days, but I'll get a good look at top NE masters and race all the young guys in the open 10-k.

The four times I ran this event were in 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003.

Ran 35:03, 33:19, 34:28 which isn't very good.  In 2003 I managed a good time of 32:22.  Right about this same time I ran a 5-k in 15:54, a 1:13:22 half marathon, so I'm about in the same fitness now I think, except I'm much stronger.  Sub 34 will be ok whatever the weather, sub 33 I'll be very happy, and if course is dry and fast and I can get close to my pr for the course I should be ready to do well at Lexington.

I think I'll go out near the back, and try and maintain my pace through the race instead of going out in 4:40 like I used to.  It's such an wide open course, there really is no reason to go out nuts when there are plenty of places to pass.  I really like the wilderness section of the course.  It's slightly uphill going into it and slightly downhill coming out.  Three times through the wilderness for the 10-k, which gets a little old and my main goal is not to get lapped.  With two times up Bear cage hill, once in the final half mile, that should help me out.  Plus the final 100 meters is slightly uphill on the grass which should help against the young speedsters during final kick.  Mainly it will be a recon mission to watch the masters race, although my teammates for nationals will be watching my race with a cold beverage in hand while I suffer against the young guys.

For the most part it's going to be fun racing with a team again.  That should at least keep me from completely dying when I start to hurt.

Looking back at my college times I never ran well on the 8-k course.  1999 I ran 28:27.  Probably ran low 26 or high 25 somewhere in the 2002-2003 period when it was dry.  But's I don't think it was actually 8-k either.


Of course franklin park can either be dry and super fast or snow, muddy and slow.
Be a good tuneup for nationals.  Got to order some spikes now.

No comments:

Post a Comment