Sunday, October 29, 2017

21 days and counting until Masters running starts

Alright, 21 days and 3 races to go before I turn into a master's runner.  The comeback, the training I did all year was for this.

So I've got the USATFNE open X-C 10-k this coming weekend.  Feel pretty confident I can run sub 34 after the workout I did today as long as course is fairly dry.  Then a local 4-miler the week after, and finally the last race of the sub5 series the week after with a 3 miler.  Main goal is to break 15:30, but after today's workout I may be able to get closer to 15:15.

Just saw US MASTERS 15-k champ results.  Top guy was 46 something.  That's fast.  I couldn't run that when I was young so he can have it.  But second place didn't break 50 minutes and I should be able to do that soon.

Full schedule for 2018 isn't out yet, but I may try to get to a US masters only race in between going to the open US champs.

Main open races I want to do are 10-mile, 20-k 25-k, marathon and 50-k next year.  Since the half marathon and 15-k are sandwiched around 25-k, those are out.  But there usually are  a masters only 15-k and half marathon race. so I'll hit those up if I can.  I don't think I have any interest running more than 50-k, although maybe I'll get the bug and want to try the 50-miler.

And lastly I think even if US xc championship doesn't happen in December, I'll probably drop down to half marathon in Millinocket.  Rather work on 10-k to 25-k distances right now and save the longer training for 50-k for January- March.  Always wanted to run another 5 miles after running 26.2 miles, haha.  As long as the weather is cool, I should be ok.  My only issues I've ever had in the 15 marathon's I've done have been in hot weather.  Boston 2005 I ran 2:47 in heat, Chicago 2007 I ran 2:41 in really hot and humid weather, and then MDI this year would be my third slowest marathon and it wasn't hot, 60 degrees, but it was 90+% humidity that killed me.  Cannot imagine it will be hot in NY at the beginning of March.  Hoping at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment