Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Rain

I know I'm into this running thing when I look out window and it looks like a wall of water and wind and I'm excited. 

Looks like if Dirigo masters guys send a team to Lexington, KY for US club masters x-c 10-k I'll be going.  Means I'll skip out on Millinocket marathon.

I've always kind of sucked until I started running marathons, then the strength kicked in.  I think the last x-c races I did were with Zap at 2006 winter nationals.  Saturday I did 4-k so Zap would have enough for team scoring.  I remember going out as hard as I could first 400 and was in top 5 last people.  It was 2-k loops.  By 1-k I started passing hoards of people and it was like that until finish.  Another k and I think I could have gotten top 25.  Ended up running 12:13 and finished 38th.  Because no other teams were entered we won gold for team championship.  So I guess I can say I'm a part of a national championship team, haha. 

The next day I got up for the race I was there to do.  The 12-k.  It was cold and started snowing.  Again the same 2-k loops.  Again I went out pretty hard like x-c races do and was near the back after first loop.  Then I started passing lots of people.  Ended up finishing 52nd in 39:00.  Still my fastest 12-k ever.  I couldn't convince all the mile and 3-k guys who ran 4-k the day before to run the 12k, haha.

But before running marathons I went to a bunch of us national xc races and ran terrible.  I think I even ran 36-37 minutes one year for 10-k. 

I'll need to get a couple xc specific workouts in on golf course to be ready.  Like to be top 25 which means sub 34 minutes most likely.  If I can go sub 33, I might squeeze into top 10.  Mostly I'd be running for team and get a look at the guys I'll be up against in 2018.  Definitely less worried at distances over 10-k on road, but I like to know my competition and I don't mind running shorter stuff and getting my butt kicked. 

Speaking of, I believe Jim Johnson turns 40 about when I do.  New England will be well represented next year if he decides to do some masters stuff.  He can easily kick my butt in most distances especially if there is mud, hills, or snow involved.  Put us on a flat marathon course, maybe I have a chance.   I'm still tired from the 20+ mile snowshoe run he took me on 5 years ago with Kevin Tilton.  We were eating snow to stay hydrated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment