Sunday, February 18, 2018

Race report

Work up to 5 inched of snow and it was still snowing.  7:30 it stopped.  Signed up for race, warmed up 2 miles, sun was coming out things were melting.

Race director said something to me about how I'd just have to settle with the shoes.  Shoes to winner, $150 if cr was broken.  Ya, people should not say things like that to me because to me that's saying, you can't break cr because of snow.

I simply said, well I need to win first, but I think I'll go for cr anyways.  CR was 7:56,  Ryan McCalom 2017.

Got in some strides, felt good.  Road was wet, patches of slush.  I wore high socks to keep legs warm.

2.5k road race.  First half flat to uphill on congress street,  turn around come back.

I went out after it.  2:26 for first half mile.  Chris Dunn stuck to me like glue.  He'd beaten me by 3-4 minutes in 10 miler in April, and he'd run 32:48 for 10k three weeks ago, so I knew he was good.  Got a little gap before halfway, but turnaround cone in snow made me come to a stop and Chris caught up.  He had on some microspikes.

Next half mile in 2:31.  Good with shitty turn and half of it uphill.

Chris stuck to me like glue.  About 1.2 we had to go around fire truck in road and I surged.  I couldn't let 23 year old near me at end or I'd lose.

I got a couple second gap.  Third half mile in 2:29.  Roads sucked worse going back on that side, plus we had to dodge ambulance going code.

We then had to cross road through pike of slush to be on other side to finish.  Chris started to come back,  I sprinted.

New cr, 7:48.  Chris broke old record to in 7:51.

Got new pair of shoes from fleet feet, and $150.  Trip paid for.

Long cooldown after, 7.5+

No comments:

Post a Comment