Friday, February 2, 2018

Final countdown

Alright, the time is almost at hand for the Midwinter 10-miler.  I work Friday overnight into Saturday.  Plan to sleep most of the day, then head down to Portland.

I've got to say, who knows what I'll run for a time or whether I'm capable of running faster than the masters course record, 55:19 by Todd Coffin in 2007.  Even with the winter we've had and training a lot on snowshoes, treadmill and the pool, I feel more ready for this than I ever thought was possible last year at this time when I started running again.  It's hard to believe that my first month of training last February was 10-20 miles a week and fighting to run sub 18 minutes on a flat 5-k course last March.

One thing I did last year that helped was racing a lot.  Way more races in a year than I ever did in a year.  I lost most of them, including two marathons.  But, it all had a purpose, to get in shape for Midwinter 2018.  One year of training.

It all started with the Eastern States 20-miler.  My longest run to that point was about 12 miles.  I ended up running 2:09 something in the 20-miler, over 20 minutes slower than I had run in 2012.  Soon after I did my first 5-k back.  Flat course, barely broke 18:00(17:51)  Rough.

A couple more weeks of training I went to an fast course at Unity College I had run a bunch of times and run sub 14:50 twice on.  I ran 17:29, ouch.

10-mile race a couple weeks later I got lost in the 5th mile and ran 3 minutes longer than I should have, but still ran an an hour.  With Sugarloaf marathon only a few weeks away I was starting to wonder if I was ready or not.  Other than the 20 mile race early on my longest runs were 16ish miles.

Ready or not, Sugarloaf marathon.  Ya, I wasn't ready, but I ran ok, 2:35:41, for second and my first loss in a marathon in Maine in 7 marathons.  At least a friend of mine won and we broke the out of state guy who was up front with us.

After this I decided I needed to race a lot and ran races from 1 mile to 10-miles to get ready for MDI marathon.

Long runs for MDI went better.  I got a bunch of runs close to 20 miles and even a 24+ miler.  I was ready.  I went out as planned, and hit halfway in 1:14:31, only a second off what my plan was.  Still 90 seconds behind leader, but I thought I could go get him.  Felt great and sped up as planned.  Then the humidity hit me hard and most of the last 8 miles I walked/ran to a second place finish, 2:37:57.  Another marathon in Maine, second loss. 

Jumped right on the wagon and raced my fastest 5-k of the year a week later, 16:08.  Ran a bunch of local races, and a couple out of state xc races that didn't go great, but they didn't go terrible either.

The surprise was the Epic 5-k in negative degree temps and running 16:32 off a lot of snowshoe and treadmill running.

Mostly the workouts the last three weeks have surprised me.  It's only been a month since I've raced, but it feels like forever and I'm super excited to see where things lay now.






No comments:

Post a Comment