Monday, January 22, 2018

Almost time to rest up

Tuesday is going to be last hard workout before I start to rest up for Midwinter.  With the storm coming in it looks like I'll be stuck on the treadmill.  So as I often do, a change of plans is in order.

I always feel like 10 days out is really the final time you can get something in that will actually help you for a race, other than maybe resting up and doing some shorter faster stuff.

Tuesday the plan is 7.5 miles going a mile at goal 10-mile pace(5:24-5:27), with a quarter mile at faster than 5-k pace  This should put me right about 40:00 for the whole thing.

Friday I'm going to try and get in something like 4x4:00 at 4:50 pace with lots of rest, 3:00.  The workout is short enough not to take much out of me, but should make goal 10-mile pace feel better.

Monday or Tuesday of next week depending on how long I'm at court I'll probably do something like 2-3x1.5 miles at goal 10-mile pace with 90 second rests.  This will be a trial run.  Wake up, eat, warmup, start intervals at same time race is, wear what I plan on running in race.  This should feel super easy.

Thursday I'll do a really light workout with some shorter intervals and only adding up to 12-15 minutes of quicker running, but not really pushing too hard.

Other than that its easy runs, strides most days after my runs, no hills the final week, and even if I get some treadmill running in I'll keep incline down at .5% instead of the 1.5% I usually run at.

Then its all up to me to get the job done at the 10-miler.  If the weather is bad my goal is crack the masters record of 55:17.  On a good weather day I think sub 54:00 is possible if I run smart.  Top 3-5 overall would be nice on a good day, but the main goal is going after that record.  There are a lot of fast runners coming and my only worry is I'm pretty sure there is going to be a couple way out front and then another group in the 56-57 range.  I'm hoping I've got someone to run with for most of it which will help, but I'm running first 3 miles at my pace no matter what.

First mile is pretty fast, even with the usual headwind and the first 600 gradually uphill.  I have to control myself and not go any faster than 5:20-5:25.  Mile 2 is series of rolling uphills and I'd like to run 5:30-5:35 for that one.  Usually the 3rd mile is spent recovering from mile 2, so anything around 5:30 and I'll be doing good.  Mile 4 and 5 are pretty fast and I'd like to get back down to to 5:20's and even some sub 5:20s would be fine here.  Miles 6 and 7 have some hills, but you get a downhill after each to recover and there is no reason I cannot run 5:25-5:30 pace.  Mile 8 climbs as you get near the B2B start line.  5:30 will be doing good here.  Mile 9 and 10 can be windy.  Mile 9 goes down, flattens out and then starts to climb gradually.  Depends on the wind, could be fast or slow.  Mile 10 continues to gradually climb and the final 500 meters is downhill.

Midwinter 10-mile past results
2002- 56:37 9th place
2008- 53:28 3rd place
2009- 52:40 2nd place
2010- 50:57 1st place
2012- 54:09 4th place
2016- 59:39 7th place,  ran this off almost no training.
Average is about 54:35 and this would be a good time for me this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment