Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Snowland

With a few days to go before nationals, its all about rest and remembering the training is in the bank.

Normally after a snowstorm I'd break out the snowshoes, but that just tires out the legs too much.  With the snow I'll probably get a day pass for the Y and hit the treadmill for an easy run with some pickups during the run.

A couple of guys in my 3000 race that can run sub 5 minute miles pretty handily, and probably have better 200 meter speed than I do .  So I could run tactically and probably do pretty well, but I think I'll keep things just under 5:00 pace throughout which should do some damage and still allow me to finish strong.  Biggest challenge is going to be starting well and not falling on myself, and then trying to stay in lane one out of trouble if someone decides to go out faster and save as much energy as possible, like only passing on straights.  If someone wants to lead, awesome, but I'm not letting a 3-k race turn into a 1-k race.  I won't go out crazy either.  15 laps will probably seem like a lot, but I need to remember I've run some longer races this winter, and just take one lap at a time.

After that I'll focus on the 1500 the next day.  I'll be racing some of the same guys from the 3-k, so I'll know what I'm up against with them.  The other top guys seem like more 800 meter guys, so I'm definitely not letting the pace go slow for even a lap.  Again, if someone goes out fast, great, if not, first chance I get to take the lead without using much energy, I'll take over and push the whole time.  Hopefully that will be good enough to take any kick out of the 800 guys.  Time will tell.  My college race tactic from college always worked really well in 1500 then, so I'll count on a quick pace and a long drive from way out to take the sting out of the quicker guys.

800 on Sunday,  ha,  well I'm just going to run it hard and try not to fall to shit the final 300.  Probably will go out around 58-60 which is way out of my range right now, but if I sit on the back of that I should be a couple seconds slower, then hopefully not fall apart as bad as everyone else and who knows.  Really the only reason I'm doing the 800 is I'll be done the 3-k and 1500 and I'll be in Maryland until Monday and I might as well race it.  Give myself a Masters PR, ya baby.  I'm not planning on running the 800 in July at Outdoor nationals.  Plan there is to run 5000 on Thursday, the 10000 on Saturday and if I'm still around on Sunday the 1500 for shits and giggles.  Plus I really enjoy the 1500.  Hate the mile just like 10-ks and half marathons.  Love 5-miles, love 12-k, love 10-miles, love 25-k, hate 10-k and half marathons.  Saying that I love running loops, so track 10-k I'm excited about.


No comments:

Post a Comment