Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Good times

Going through some training logs I found a treadmill workout I had completely forgotten about in 2008.  Essentially it was a test.

Basically I had access to a treadmill that went 3:40 mile pace.

I needed to do 4 intervals, all under 10 minutes.  But all of them as fast as I could go.

So for the first interval the goal was to pick a speed I could run for 1:30-2:00. 

12 minutes of walking

Next interval was to last 3-4 minutes, no longer. 

12 minutes of walking

Then another interval for 5-6 minutes.

12 minutes of walking before a final interval of more than 6 but less than 10.

What did this all show.  Well I had a friend who helped with this, and who went to MIT.  He could do the math I couldn't.  Plus he was there for the test to help keep me going and keep track of speeds and distances.

Essentially with 4 data points on a x,y axis he was able to give me some very useful data to use for my training in 2009-2010.  I ended up setting pr's in every distance from 1-mile to marathon in that time.

The test itself is a great workout.  Essentially it was figured out that lots of intervals at 4:39 pace might be beneficial.  Well that's about 3-k pace, so I ended up doing lots of 400-1000 meter repeats.  In January of 2010 I was able to run with Riley Masters who was running mile repeats at this pace.  That workout was just a couple weeks before I ran 50:57 at midwinter.  For sure, that workout was super tough, but it made running 5:06 pace for 10 miles easy.

I ran first 3 miles at midwinter pretty easy before running the next 5 miles under 25:00. 

Going through the old training journals after midnight when I cannot sleep had proven useful again.

No comments:

Post a Comment