Sunday, November 12, 2017

8 days until master status.

So with one race to go until I turn 40, I'm excited.  I still feel like I can run with most of the young guys around here, but just knowing I can finally race the top masters guys around the country is going to be so much fun.

Really, its just nice to be in shape again.  In March when I started training again I really did not think I could ever get back to this kind of shape.  Now I'm thinking I can get in better shape.  It's interesting only being able to do 50-60 miles a week.  Getting injured isn't even a thought with that kind of low mileage.  Getting through the 50-k in March may be tough on that kind of mileage, but hopefully that is the longest I ever decide to race.

Lexington will be fun.  Zap is sending a team so I'll get to see my old coach.  My former Athletics East coach and some of that former team will be there running the masters race, so it will be great to see them.  And I'm staying the night after the race to have some fun.

Supposedly the Lexington course is a lot of long gradual ups and downs.  That should suit me well.  One bog loop and two smaller loops.  I love loops.  Not crazy that the loops are clockwise.  I always seem to run better when the loops are in the direction you'd run a track race, but once the race starts I'll get over that.

After this it's some serious training to get the 55:19 masters record at the Midwinter 10-miler.  Pretty sure I can get that now, but I would like to take a big chunk off that.  And if the weather is bad, which it can be in Early February, I'll need to be in better shape to make sure I can get under the record.  Should be fun.  Signup for the race is the day I turn 40, so I've got that on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment