Thursday, September 28, 2017

Last 16 days and more than you need to know

Alright,  So resting up the remainder of the week and then a flat 10-k race Sunday.  as long as this humid hot weather breaks, I am going to attempt to run even 5:15 pace.

My weight is way down.  Near 145 pounds.  Now I just need to maintain abut that the next 16 days.

Next Wednesday I plan on 25-k progressive which will be my last medium long effort.  Going to run each 5-k bit faster.  First 5-k at 6:00 pace, next at 5:50, next at 5:40, next at 5:30, last at 5:20 with final mile in 5:10-5:15.  This should be comfy.  If not I'll back the pace off during the workout, because this workout is not meant to kill me, but on rested legs it should be pretty easy.

Then on Saturday Oct. 7th I'm going to run a quicker workout. 
1-mile all out(hopefully under 4:40). 5 minute rest. 
Then 5 x 1/2 mile at about 2:25-2:27 with 1 minute rests between those with 3 minutes after last one.
Then 400 meters all out, hopefully around 60 seconds.

Monday October 9th I'll do 2 x 1.4 miles at just faster than goal marathon pace.  Same warm up I'll do before marathon, same breakfast, everything,  Start at 8 am.  Before Sugarloaf I ran these in 7:31-7:32.

Wednesday evening or Thursday morning I'll do a short quicker workout of 3,2,1,2,1,1 minute pieces with equal rests.

Strides after most of the easy run final 2 weeks.

Then its just a matter of resting properly, eating right, sleeping right, and I think I've done as much as I could do.  7 months ago I would have said I couldn't have gotten in this kind of shape.  I have no idea who may be racing, but I'll run my own race, and hopefully in the final 10-k I'll be close enough to the leaders to make a race.

I know the course very well and will have lots of locals out and about cheering me on.  There are a lot more people out cheering compared to the last time I ran this race in 2005 when you only saw people at start and finish.

I have 3 nights off before race, so no excuse of no sleep.  And unlike Sugarloaf, I've gotten the long runs and although 26.2 miles sucks no matter what you do, I won't get to mile 10 and feel completely overwhelmed like Sugarloaf.  I've gotten in three times as many long runs and gotten in a bunch of 20-23.5 mile runs, all pretty hard.

Lastly, I want to make recovery after the marathon a priority.  I've got plenty of time after to get ready for the Midwinter 10-miler in February.  I love the 10-mile distance, and to be able to put myself into position to break that masters record is going to take some good training.(55:19). 

As long as I can get the time off I'm going to Long Island and racing the US 50-k champs, hopefully with a friend who has run close to 3 hours for 50 k and will be a master this coming year too.

Mostly I'm going to travel around the country to US masters races.  With the group I grew up with all about to turn 40 in the next few years, I think Maine is about to see some really fast masters times.

No comments:

Post a Comment