Saturday, September 16, 2017

AM: 12-K race

2 mile warm up, 12:54

12-k went well.  The course was different than I thought.  Mostly an out and back with a loop in the middle.

Slow start, but most of the first mile is fast.  Problem with that is I knew I had to finish coming back up the hill.  So I went out in control,  4:56 through the mile.  Then the rolling hills started.

Mile 2 in 5:31
Mile 3 in 5:31
Mile 4 in 5:34

Then I hit a section of about 400 meters on dirt and grass.  The last bit of mile 5 was flatter, but the road had moss on it and it was like running on an old wet track without spikes.

Mile 5 in 5:46
Mile 6,  I got my shit back together and ran 5:16

Then the hill to the finish started.  I pushed good on this and was really happy how well I was able to push myself.

Mile 7 in 5:32

The hill continued and the last .45 miles I managed to run in 2:33

40:43 for total time, 5:28 pace.  A little slower than the sub 40 I wanted, but the course was legit, hilly, and it was super humid.  So I was really happy to break 41:00.

Afterwards I did 3.5 miles for a cool down, 23:32.

I definitely feel good running just faster marathon pace over hills.

With the 5-7 pounds I'll take off the next 2 weeks and fresh legs, I'm interested to see how the flat 10k goes in a couple of weeks.  I'm guessing I can run my goal of 32:30 there, which is 5:14 pace.

Next weeks 4-k is mostly flat and downhill, so I'll try and run sub 4:50 pace for that to work on some speed.

4 weeks until the marathon.  Heck ya, I've put myself into a great position to do well.


No comments:

Post a Comment