Friday, September 8, 2017

Hike and a run, Thursday

Headed to Baxter Wednesday night.  Rained all night.  But we still had fire before bed.  Woke up by 5,  coffee, eggs and bacon.

Headed to Baxter which was only 3 miles away.  I already got a $5.00 parking pass, and it cost nothing to get in as maine resident.  Went the 8 miles on dirt roads up to roaring brook.

We hiked up Katahdin from roaring brook.  Went up to chimney pond, up cathedral to top.  Rained the whole time.  Rangers said cathedral was not recommended in rain.  I would say if you are not in shape, haven't done some rock climbing or some real technical climbing, you're setting yourself up for a bad day.

We were fine because of of our experience, gear, and being in shape, and knowing our limits.  The ice pellets were not fun.  But it wasn't super cold, probably 35-50 degrees depending where you were.

We'd gone up Katahdin stream to saddle a few years ago when it was in the 10-20 degree range, rain at bottom, ice and super windy on top.  That climb I think we used about all the gear we owned, and it still sucked.  This was way better than that year.

Not much of a view on top.  Saw one person up there.  Windy and ice pellets.

Went down via knifes edge, Helen Taylor trail.  Also not recommended on a rainy, windy day unless you have some experience.   Other than the hike to chimney and the top we didn't see anyone.

It was real slow going the 1.1 miles over to Pamela.  Probably took us two hours.  A couple of times it would clear just enough so you'd see next peak ahead.

Heading down Helen Taylor sun came out partway down  Figures.  we hiked down 1.2 miles to treeline and had lunch.  The iI hauled ass down the last 2.2 miles ahead of my friend so I could sneak a run in. 

7.8 mile hike, I only fell once going up, on 1st cathedral, hurt like hell too, and once going down while I was hauling ass down and ended up in the bushes.

Legs were jello at bottom.  Threw on some running shorts and shoes and ran from roaring brook back just past gatehouse.  Made it 8+ before my friend came by in truck.  Good timing because it had just switched to pavement and my legs were fried.  Felt good running other than downhill.  I'll have to map it out because my gps was all over the place.  Said some miles were 5:50 and some 7:30.  Nope, and nope.  Probably ran about 6:20 pace, but I wasn't running sub 6 or 7:30, sunny and hot for run and I kept telling myself this must be what running an ultra feels like.

Good days work, hot shower a few miles away at campground.  Dinner, a campfire and in bed by 8pm.  I was tired.  Slept much better without rain.

Up by 6:00am,  coffee, pancakes and bacon,  packed up and headed to Bangor.

Friend dropped me off at hotel, I checked in all my bags, headed out and got in an easy 5.1 miles, mostly on labor day course.  Hot, sunny, legs super sore.  This must be how legs feel like in ultra, ran about 6:45-7:00 pace.  Sore every step.

Headed for treadmill in a few minutes for another easy run, then dinner before the concert at waterfront.  I have my Nascar hat, so I'll fit in fine at a Brantley Gilbert concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment