Saturday, July 8, 2017

Workout, Hill cycles

I went over to Seal Harbor,  a little cooler, about 64 degrees, but still humid heavy air.

1.12 mile warmup, 7:06

3 hill cycle loops nonstop.  Basically the middle 90 seconds has a hill that is about 400 meters and you gain about 110 feet.  The first 200 meters is steep, then it's gradual the rest of the way.  Rest of the loop is flat to gradually downhill.  Goal is to run even pace for whole loop.  Just before Hyannis 201 I was doing these in the 6:20-6:30 per loop.  So today I set a goal of being under 7:00.  By the time you get to the top of the hill you want to stop, and I always think I'm done, but by the time you get back around to where you start I'm always feeling good again and ready for another loop.

Loop 1:  6:40
Loop 2:  6:45
Loop 3:  6:44

Total was 20:09, 3.42 miles.  Each loop is 1.14 miles.

Was pretty happy with that with the humid weather.  I'll build up to 5 of these at some point.  A workout I used to do when I was with Zap.  Usually did this in the winter months but I'll be doing it at least twice more this summer building up for MDI.  It's really good because it beats up your legs a little going downhill and teaches you to recover and relax after a killer hill.  And the uphill is just a matter of gutting it out.  I'd say the flat to downhill section feels like marathon effort, but you're going tempo pace or faster, and the uphill feels like 1-mile to 3-k effort and you're doing all you can to run marathon pace.

If I can build up to 5 of these at around 6:30 a loop I'll be in good shape for MDI in October.

2.21 mile cooldown.  14:33.


No comments:

Post a Comment