Saturday, July 22, 2017

Relay

I met up with the team around 10:15pm.  I got my traffic vest on, my headlamp on, and went and ran a mile easy in the dark on the trail.  (6:50).

Start time was 11pm and it was just me and one other team starting.  The previous start time was 10:30, so over 9ish miles I doubted I would be catching anyone on this leg.

Started out and went out fast knowing the first mile is slightly down and probably the best packed down mile of the whole relay.  About a quarter mile into it a 4-wheeler came towards me and I coughed on dust all the way to the mile mark.  Plus I couldn't see a thing, it was like having high beams on in the fog.

A couple porcupines in the middle of the trail brought me to a stop briefly, but I got into a good rhythm and other than trying to find a patch of dirt that wasn't like running on sand and dodging the rocks, I ran pretty even from start to finish.

GPS had me at 9.17 miles(52:16)  About 70 degrees, but super humid, like an oven.  But no sun, so I was pretty good.

After that I jumped around to different legs before putting my damp running gear back on and getting ready to go again.  Jogged around a couple hundred meters, tried to stay warm.  It was less humid and about 60 degrees.

About 4am, I started leg 8.  The going here was way worse and it was soft, and rocky, but I was determined to break 5:50 pace for the whole thing.  7.85 miles-45:39.  Weather was much nicer here and the sun started to come up.

Got to work at 3pm, so I came back to BH and was in bed by 7am.

No comments:

Post a Comment