Monday, May 22, 2017

Marathon recovery

So going through my training log, I got in long runs of 20 miles (race), in march, a 18.6 treadmill run April 7th, and a 19.75 mile run April 17th. 

So probably some more long runs would help.  But I'm training for a shorter race anyways, so probably toss that idea.

I did do a handful of 16.3 miles with final one starting at about 5:45 pace and working down to sub 5:30.  So for 15-k to 25-k distances which I'm focusing on this coming winter, I'll be good.  I noticed the runs closer to 20 miles weremaking me need extra recovery.  So screw that, and I'm good with marathons other than to do one every now and then for a gut check and a training stimulus.

So today, legs felt ok, got in 3.6 miles on the treadmill(24:38).  Then went for a 20+minute bike ride.  Quads were a little sore, but come on, I sure as heck was not ready to run 26.2 miles yesterday.

Goal for the summer is 40 miles a week and just try and stay active.  Then this fall I'll probably make myself suffer through another marathon during base building, a hilly one,  before going after some Masters records this winter, and next Spring.  That's right, I'll be 40 in November, and after taking most of the last 5 years off, my legs are pretty good.

After that I'll probably actually train for a 50-k.  Always wanted to suffer for another 5 miles.  But it's got to be like a 5-k loop course.  I like loops.





No comments:

Post a Comment